One slot has a total of 30 minutes: 20 minutes for the talk; 5 minutes for questions and answers; 5 minutes for the participants to change rooms. At FOSS4G Europe 2020, we can accommodate 4 parallel tracks, with sessions of 1.5h. Thus, at FOSS4G Europe 2020, you will design your presentations circuit through approximate 90 talks.
The FOSS4G Europe 2020 program will build upon the traditional general topics. When submitting a talk for the general track or a lighting talk, please select the one that best defines your contribution:
- Software development;
- Transition to FOSS4G;
- Use cases & applications;
- Education & research;
- Digital economy;
- Open data.
Next, you will be asked to assign between 1 to 4 indicating the level of technical complexity of your contribution. 1 means that your audience can have minimal technical knowledge related to your submission’s subject to understand it, 4 means that your audience must be highly technical to get the most out of your talk.
Guidelines for submitters
There are no formal indications when preparing your contribution for FOSS4G Europe 2020, yet please consider the following suggestions:
- FOSS4G’s backbone is open source, so make sure you clearly indicate what is (are) the open source project(s) essential in your talk;
- If you talk of new developments or a completely new open source project, please make sure you point to its repository(ies). You’ll be speaking in a room full of geeks with computers and high-speed internet.
- We believe in equality, so all presenters have the same exact amount of time to present their work – 20 minutes for the talk, 5 for Q&A and 5 for changing rooms. Please consider that when preparing your slides.
- Please be responsible! If after you have confirmed participation, you or the co-authors are no longer able to present, please let us know as soon as possible.
Talks selection process
FOSS4G Europe is the European geospatial community’s event, thus the main selection of talks will be done through the open community voting process. The highest-scored ones will automatically be included in the program, while the others will be reviewed by the FOSS4G Europe 2020 volunteer Program Committee. We will make sure that the conference program will be well-balanced and diverse.